The Church of St. Mary
Roman Catholic Cemetery
As written in W. Arnot Craick's Port Hope Historical Sketches
Owing to the unfortunate destruction by fire of the first Roman Catholic Church in Port Hope, all the records which could throw any light on the early history of this congregation have been lost. It was destroyed by incendiaries one evening in August 1851 and completely destroyed. The Town Council offered a fifty pound reward for the apprehension of the perpetrators of this outrage, but the guilty parties were never brought to justice.
The present building, the Church of St. Mary, Star of the Sea, was dedicated on 07 Oct 1855. The original cemetery was to the southwest of the Church, and the earliest burial records are of 1849. The date of the opening of the present Roman Catholic cemetery on Toronto Road, to the north of Union Cemetery, is c1870.
The markers in the cemetery can be seen to the left of the Church (centre). The tower in the background, to the left of St. Mary's spire, is that of the First Presbyterian Church on Baldwin Street. Click on the image to enlarge.
St. Mary's vital statistics records can be searched online, and will require a free membership.
Recently, the cemetery has been remapped. The map below shows the sections, and, by using this with CemSearch, you will be able to get a general idea of where to search. It is not a large cemetery.
Peter and Barbara Bolton - Port Hope, Ontario