CemSearch is an ever-expanding online database of 435,000+ interment records, covering 911 cemeteries in an area extending north to Haliburton, east to the Quebec border, and west to Bowmanville. It also includes a few selected cemeteries from Connecticut, USA.
It was begun in the 1980s by Ron Smith and Dave Long under the auspices of the Lakeshore and Quinte Branches of the Ontario Genealogical Society. Originally intended as a record of all known burials in Northumberland County (which includes those parts of Durham County that were amalgamated with Northumberland some years back), it has since grown to include all of the cemeteries in the surrounding counties.
These Port Hope cemeteries are included in the database.
- The Old Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery (c1830-1873) records contain little more than the name of the lot owner, range and number of graves. There appear to be no existing records to indicate who was actually buried there.
- The Presbyterian Pioneer Cemetery (1827-1873), on a sandy hillside in a quiet residential area, has approximately 65 known or alleged burials of early area pioneers.
- Providence Bible Christian Cemetery, established c1843 on Lot 1, Concession 6 of Hope Township (west side of Highway 28), has 261 recorded burials.
- St. John's Anglican Cemetery (1862-present), originally purchased by the Diocese of Toronto in 1853, has approximately 5,000 recorded burials, the earliest in 1863.
- St. Mark's Anglican Cemetery (1819-1873) has some 300 burials in its churchyard. There have also been recent cremations.
- St. Mary's Roman Catholic Cemetery, established c1870 north of Union Cemetery, was originally situated around the Church on Walton Street. There are 1,600+ interred here, the earliest memorial dated 1849.
- Union Cemetery (1873-present), adjoining St. John's, has approximately 8,500 recorded burials.
- Welcome United Church Cemetery (1855-present), with 4,100 recorded burials, is located at the northwestern corner of town.
Peter and Barbara Bolton - Port Hope, Ontario